Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One Month to Live

This week I am reading a inspiring book by Kerry and Chris Shook, who founded Fellowship of the Woodlands in Houston, Texas. This book has deeply inspired me to think not only about my future, but also every choice I make today. I honestly don't worry about not having a long life for God has called me to so much with my life so I know time is on my side, but its what I do with that time that matters most. You can live a hundred years and still accomplish nothing or but a few months and accomplish more than many others.

In this particular chapter though I learned what it meant to fully trust the Lord and I don't mean just with my words saying "I trust you", but with my actions as well. I know how hard it can be to give Him control of our situations, mostly cause you want them done your way, but in the end God has a much higher way of thinking than any one of us.

Isaiah 55: 8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

You hold on desperately, trying to do things in your own strength. You struggle endlessly, trying to control everything, trying to make everything just right, trying to please people, trying to control every situation. You hold on and think there is no one to catch you so you'd better grip harder and cling tighter. While you're hanging there and your knuckles are turning white, I'm saying "Just let go , and I'll catch you. Just let go. I promise you, I love you, and I'll catch you. I made you with my own hands. I made you for a purpose, and I died to have you back. Why can't you trust me? I gave my life for you. I'm the God of the universe. You can just let go and I will catch you."

For me this can't be more true. How many times have I been like God I can do it on my own watch me. And sometimes He does allow me to do it on my own and other times I fall and fail so miserably. If I would do it His way every time, not only would I not fall I would probably be able to fly. Even in the toughest of situations where everyone is counting on you to fail, He's the one there begging you to just trust Him.

I look at life day by day and everyday we get new tests. Everyday He has situations that He brings to us to see if we will pass the test. Everyday, every minute there are choices to be made. When we pass the test He moves us on to bigger things, if we don't we are stuck retaking the test sometimes once, sometimes over and over again. 

You remember those old bracelets that said WWJD or What Would Jesus Do? When I was younger it was a fad so I bought a few just to fit in with the rest of my friends. This bracelet had no significance to me it just made me look like I belonged. Now when I make choices or before words come out of my mouth mostly during fights where I am angry, I have to stop myself and be like so its ok to be angry but I don't want to say something I will later regret. So its more about watching my words than anything, you still can get your point across but you don't want to tear down the person you are saying them to. So thats when WWJD comes into play. Will Jesus be proud of me what I am saying or will He be disappointed in me? When you start making Him the basis of your decisions and ask Him for strength, I feel everything goes so much more smoothly and you don't look back and hit yourself in the head for saying something stupid.

Yeah there are probably alot of words you wanted to say that would be hurtful cause you are hurt, but when you give the control over to God you are able to begin to see under the surface. Many times when people say hurtful words its cause they are hurt and probably not even because of something you did, but they need someone to vent to. When we start giving God control and looking through His eyes, we see the heart of the matter and are filled with compassion instead of anger. Its all about trusting God in the easy things and hard things, big or little things. He will NEVER let you down.

Psalm 13: 5 "But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice cause you have rescued me."


No comments:

Post a Comment